KPMG is one of the biggest public accounting firms in the world! I was ecstatic when I received the call with the job offer after graduation.
Because of its size and resources, training and development here is outstanding. Busy season is the only time where training sessions are not held, but for the rest of the eight or nine months, the firm puts together constant training sessions that keep me up to date on changes in accounting practices.
One of the benefits of working for KPMG is that I receive training at a level that would allow me to work on public companies. Although my geographical area focuses on Enterprise, which focuses on privately owned companies, much of my learning can be applied to most accounting sectors.
During my time at KPMG I have been exposed to many types of accounting treatments and businesses. Some of my work includes:
- Preparing Notice to Readers and Reviews for businesses in agriculture, trade, professional services and others.
- Preparing tax returns (corporate and non-for-profit) for NTRs, reviews, and audits.
- Personal tax returns that include business and farm statements, investments in and outside of Canada, capital gains, and many other personal tax items.
- Completing audits for NPOs, municipalities and government bodies, and for-profit businesses. I find audits are a great way to learn how organizations function financially and how to protect the entity from risk by using proper controls.
- The audits I participate in range from smaller to large entities. This allows me to do work on every significant Balance Sheet and Income Statement account.