TDC has been an amazing experience as it has allowed me to look at accounting and decision making from a high level perspective. I am currently responsible for all aspects of accounting processes in the business. Some of my duties as a controller are:
- Payroll – doing payroll for TDC includes knowing how much to deduct for tax, vacation pay, EI, and CPP. To lower company costs I calculate everything in spreadsheets, which helps me keep up to date to changes in rates and so forth.
- Sage 50 – I process invoices and receipts for our vendors and clients. I am familiar with many of the functions of the software from doing work for TDC and also from a course I took from Lethbridge College.
- Year-end process – An exciting time of the year! I prepare and file reports such as accounts payable and receivables, Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Trials Balance, etc.
- GST Returns – filing and paying the CRA for GST charged to customers.
- Tax – I think about tax throughout the year, often asking myself “what can we do to legitimately lower our taxes”. We have seen results by planning how we want to pay contractors and employees.
- Other work – I also take a managerial role within the organization, as I talk with our suppliers, contractors and clients. By nurturing these relationships TDC has enjoyed loyalty and retention.